Thursday, May 27, 2010

Alder St. Part 1


My first cart was originally located downtown on SW 9th and Alder St, all 8x12 of it...truly palatial. I was tucked away from from the main strip directly facing Magpie vintage clothing store. Now all that remains is a giant, slopey dent in the parking lot that my little cart called home. It was my first venture at this whole cart thing and everyone else was mostly located downtown...well, why not me? A friend of a friend told me about this cart for sale and with no hesitation I jumped on it. Stars in my eyes I eagerly waited to meet the owner of the cart and get a peek inside. As she unlocked the cart and pryed the sticky door open I got my first real glimpse of said cart....what a turd! It was nasty, greasy, dirty, smelling of stale weed, something potentially died under this cart grossness. After standing there for a few minutes taking in all its beauty I turned to "Eunice" and asked if she would accept a deposit? Begrudgingly, she agreed and that was the beginning to the birth of The Sugar Cube.

The keys burned in the sweaty palm of my hand as for the first time I placed it in the lock, took a deep breath and waited for the click. After prying the door open I took my first step into my new digs. The stale air was thick as the windows have been shuttered for months, sealing in all the nasty dankity dankness. I flicked on the awful fluorescent lights which dimly glowed in the lime green interior...Jesus! It was undoubtedly ugly, but it was mine. I smiled as I could see beyond the greasy lime green walls, rotting floors, morgue like lighting and questionable smells. This cart was destined to be reborn and I was dead set determined on making it happen!

Silly me...I had no idea what I was about to get myself into. Let me start by saying it rhymes with shit....stay tuned for part deux.

No comments:

Post a Comment